I recently graduated with a Ph.D. candidate from the school of Computer Science at Carnegie Mellon. I specialize in Human-Computer Interaction for Development (HCI4D).
Prof. Amy Ogan and Prof. Tim Brown were my amazing advisors. We work on building and evaluating low-cost technology to support teachers in low-resource contexts.
I recently passed my thesis defense. Here is the draft of my thesis document.
I aspire to be a friendly neighborhood HCI/ICTD citizen.
- ICTD: Aspirations, Assets Based Design
- Human-Centered AI: Chatbots, IVR (Interactive Voice Response)
- Education: Teacher Professional Development
- Health: Health Information
- [Aug. 2023] passed my thesis defense and graduated!
- [June. 2022] passed my thesis proposal
- [May. 2022] finished my second TAship
- [Apr. 2022] helped Organize HCIxB for CHI 2022
- [June. 2021] formed my thesis committee
- [May. 2021] swam at Swim Miami to raise money for COVID relief
- [May. 2021] helped Organize HCIxB for CHI 2021
- Cannanure V.K., Brown T., Ogan A. DIA: A Human AI Hybrid Chatbot for Low Resource Contexts. ICTD 2020, Guayaquil, Ecuador
- Cannanure V.K., Souvenir J., Adji Y. , Apke H., Jasinska K., Brown T., Ogan A. ”I’m fine where I am, but I want to do more”: Exploring Teacher Aspirations in Rural Cote D’Ivoire. ACM COMPASS 2020, Guayaquil, Ecuador
- Madaio, M., Yarzebinski, E., Cannanure V.K., Zinszer B., Seri, A., Tanoh, F., Hannon-Cropp, J., Cassell, J., Jasinska, K. Ogan, A. Collective Support and Independent Learning with a Voice-Based Literacy Technology in Rural Communities. . CHI ’20, Apr 2020, Hawaii, USA
- Cannanure V.K., Madaio, M., Yarzebinski, E., Ogan, A, Brown T. Using Graphical Models to Understand Usage of an Educational Interactive Voice Response System. COMPASS ’19, Jun 2019, Accra, Ghana [Poster]
- Madaio, M., Cannanure V.K., Yarzebinski, E., Zasacky, S., Tanoh, F., Hannon-Cropp, J., Cassell, J., Jasinska, K. Ogan, A. ”You Give a Little of Yourself”: Family Support for Children’s Use of an IVR Literacy System.. COMPASS ’19, Jun 2019, Accra, Ghana
- HCIxB Organizer: HCIxB is a community of researchers across the world.
- SIGCHI Development Fund Volunteer: I help with the events calendar at sigchi.org
- Regular reviewer: CSCW, CHI, CHI extended abstract, CHI case studies, ACM COMPASS
- Fundraising: I have raised ~$25,000 for various causes in India, thanks to Milaap.org, social media, and my supportive family.
- SV Temple volunteer: During school, I volunteer as a second language(Kannada) teacher for little kids at the local temple in Pittsburgh.
I am a long-distance swimmer, and I have raised money for charity by partnering with NGOs in India. You can read more about my adventures on my blog. Here are some selected swims.
- Elephanta to gateway of India for supporting acid attack victims.
- Swim Miami 2016 for buying wheelchairs for differently-abled people.
- Swim Miami 2021 for covid relief.
- Across lake Muhazi in Rwanda for fun.
Over the past 15 years, I have built technology on the web, Android, desktop, iOS, and hardware gadgets. I still love to make things but rarely do it for projects outside my research these days. After more than a decade of fancy portfolios, I decided to keep it simple this time.
Here are some selected projects:
- Flask APIs at scale: APIs that served 4 million users at TeliportMe (where I was the Architect)
- WebGL viewer: I designed a 3D viewer for phone and web browsers on par with Google street view.
- Learn Kannada: An android application to teach a second language that has >10K downloads.
- Textin: A desktop application to send text messages and my first entrepreneurship venture
- Enginux: I helped build a custom Ubuntu derivative based on Linux Mint.
- Jedi Mouse: An interactive device that uses gestures and EEG data from the brain from the user to control the mouse.
- Cooking: I am good at cooking South Indian food, but I occasionally try vegetarian cuisines from other cultures.
- Sketching: I love to draw cartoon characters, and I usually draw them with a positive message.
- Meditation: I follow the heartfulness practice regularly.
- Learning French: As much as I can.
- Chess: I play Blitz and Bullet on chess.com
Read more about me on my blog or add me on Facebook. You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet to @kmarkiv.
Thanks to Jekyll and Minimal Light theme.